Over 120 years ago, this building served as the office of the Woodard Furniture Company paymaster and stood on the south side of West Main Street in the 400 block. It was centered in the midst of the Woodard lumberyard that occupied the area bounded by Main, Shiawassee, and Clinton street and Michigan Avenue. When the Woodard's built their new plant on Elm Street after the devastating fire of their buildings on Main Street, they sold the lumberyard to Mulhall and Benkelmen, who moved the building to South Elm Street. The building was given to the city of Owosso in the 1980's and it was moved to its present site on the north side of West Main Street next to the Shiawassee River in Curwood Castle Park.
The Woodard Furniture Company began as a planning mill and evolved to manufacturing doors and window sashes, to furniture- dining room and bedroom pieces- then to caskets, becoming the largest maker of caskets in the world, until the 1940’s when their business model changed to manufacturing wrought iron furniture.